Monday, October 29, 2012

The Crossroads

It's not all bad I've seen
Saturday nights are still our only hope
and hobos are still selling newspapers
whilst last year's graffiti fades to make place for the new kids

It's not all bad; I mean
the wheels of fortune are still spinning
the beastly carcass has yet to be licked clean
and there are still panel shows on television

It's not that all I've seen
is tainted by the nightly side
liaisons of the unrequited kind
and rooms void of the daylight of wine and roses

It's not all-that, I've seen
A dark raincoat covering headlights
dirty magazines on the back seat
and whatever's left of a man these days up in the front

It's not that I've seen it all,
I suppose the ratio has shifted
from interpretation to confabulation by now
and I regretfully answer to the congregation you brought

that, yes, I'm a crook
but I blame the crossroads outside of my door
where nothing ever happens